NB Turkey Meatloaf




    By the time 3 o’clock hits the clock at work, it is really easy to convince me to cook for dinner. Cooking is a stress-reliever for me. The end of the day is also when I get hungry for my afternoon snack and pictures on Twitter and Facebook often spur ideas for dinner that night… even if I have leftovers or was not planning on cooking.


    On this particular day, I saw a picture of a “low-carb” meal… something that looked like meatloaf. Man I wanted meatloaf. I could not get that barbecue sauce flavored high protein meal out of my head.


    I headed to the grocery store after work and picked up the ingredients for a lean turkey meatloaf.


Ingredients
16 oz ground turkey,
1 egg
1 cup corn kernels
4 medium tomatoes
Spinach (16 oz)
½ cup honey
½ cup barbecue sauce
½ cup ketchup
¼ cup cayenne pepper
¼ cup salt
¼ cup black pepper


Directions
1. Preheat oven to 325oF.
2. Combine turkey, egg, corn, 1 cup fresh spinach leaves, ¼ cup honey, ¼ cup barbecue sauce, ¼ cup ketchup, ⅛ cup cayenne pepper, ⅛ cup salt and ⅛ cup black pepper in a large mixing bowl.
2. Mix turkey mixture until ingredients are thoroughly mixed together and form a single consistency.
3. In a loaf dish, place rest of spinach.
4. Scoop turkey mix into loaf dish over top of spinach to form a loaf.
5. Bake for one and a half hours at 325oF. Internal temperature of the turkey meatloaf should be 160oF when done.
6. Combine the rest of the honey, barbecue sauce, ketchup, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper to form a sauce.
7. When turkey meatloaf is done, drizzle sauce over entire meatloaf.
8. Slice tomatoes and season with salt to eat on side. Use extra sauce for drizzling on individual meatloaf slices.

Comments

Popular Posts