The Vegan Wrap


      When I got into Toronto, I wanted a plan for how the week would go. I would most likely be eating out a couple of times – but I wanted to keep the rest of my meals balanced and healthy.

      The first idea that popped into my mind were veggie wraps--A quick prep meal solution! The tortilla would provide just a little bit of carbohydrate. I could find a low fat cheese for protein and ready-to-eat roasted vegetable. To top that, I was in Kensington Market, the equivalent of Little Italy and Chinatown in New York or the Italian Market in Philly. I thought, “This should be an easy recipe to piece together.”

      I could not find ready-made roasted vegetables.

     “People must cook here,” I disdainfully thought.

     Suddenly, I realized that I had become a New Yorker – obsessed with convenience –too busy to cook. The pace of life in Toronto is slower. People take time to be polite to one another – to say hello to passersby. Maybe I needed to slow down.

    Suddenly, I wanted to cook. After calming myself down, I found colorful red and yellow peppers and kale to sauté for the week’s veggie wraps. Another great thing about Toronto – all of the fancy vegetarian proteins I found for my wraps – 16 oz teriyaki tofu, 16 oz raw feta cheese, 8 oz hummus—all cost me around $11 altogether. Back at the hostel, I came up with the following recipe:

          

Makes 8 Servings

Ingredients
4 – 12-inch whole wheat tortilla
3 fresh red peppers
3 fresh yellow peppers
1 bunch kale
2 cups hummus
4 – 8 oz teriyaki marinated tofu burger patties



Directions
 1.   Thinly slice yellow and red peppers. In a large sauté pan, cook on medium-low heat until soft. Remove from heat.
 

 2.  In another sauté pan, heat the kale until slightly wilted. 



 3.  Cut each tortilla in half. Each half will make 1 wrap.


 
 5.  Spread hummus on each tortilla half.



 

 6.  Divide tofu amongst each tortilla.



 7.  Divide red and yellow peppers and kale amongst each wrap.


 8.  Roll each into a wrap.


 9.  Eat and enjoy!
Tip: You can make these at once for your big family, or a get together with friends OR store the batch of peppers and kale, tortillas, feta cheese, and hummus for easy lunches that last a week.

Comments

Popular Posts