Fusion Dessert Plantains

On a typical day of work at my clinic in the Bronx, I encounter at least one or two patients who have grown up on Latin American or Caribbean food and tell me that they cannot live without plantains. On some of these days, I go home craving plantains. This recipe was brought to life on one of these days.

I first learned how to make fried plantains while I was studying abroad in Equatorial Guinea. I have since learned different Central American, South American and Caribbean methods for making plantains, and must say that I love the Equatorial Guinean way most. One thing that I hear a lot at my clinic is patients eating plantains with cheese. The cheese people tell me about is often fried.

I decided not to fry my cheese, but thought that cheese might add a nice savory taste to the sweet plantains. In my improvisation at the grocery store, I realized that the texture of ricotta cheese might bring out the sweetness of the plantains, especially with some cacao powder and cinnamon for seasoning. And so, my dessert plantains inspired by both traditional Latin American and African plantain recipes and my love for sweet and savory desserts was borne.

This recipe makes a great finger food, appetizer or dessert.

Serving Size: 5 plantain slices
Makes 3 servings

Ingredients
1 ripe yellow plantain, thinly sliced with skin removed
1 cup ricotta cheese
cinnamon, for dusting
100% raw cacao powder, for dusting
Canola oil

Directions
1. In a saute pan, heat 1 tablespoon canola oil over medium heat.
2. When oil is sizzling, place plantain slices on oil. Heat until golden brown on both sides.
3. Remove from oil and place on top of a paper towel.
4. Make sure that the pan is properly greased for the rest of the plantains. When all plantains are cooked, pat grease off of both sides and place on a new paper towel or sheet of wax paper.  
5.  Dust generously with powdered cinnamon and 100% raw cacao powder in paper towel.
6. Shake plantain pieces in cacao-cinnamon mix using the paper towel until evenly coated.
7. Using a butter knife, top each plantain slice with 2 teaspoons of ricotta cheese.
8. Serve and enjoy this sweet finger food.

Comments

Popular Posts